This pulled pork recipe is on regular rotation in our house. If you haven’t noticed by now, I am not one for fancy shmancy recipes with a million steps and a ton of complicated ingredients. I’m all about big, simple flavor achieved in a minimal but strategic way. This pulled pork may not be as traditional as smoked meat, but it certainly curbs my barbecue cravings. Full disclosure though… don’t be surprised if you see me buy a smoker in the near future. I would really love to have one of those at my disposal!
I’ve been making this recipe for quite a while now. I used to make it my traditional slow cooker but now I make it in an Instant Pot. If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, I promise you that you need one. It can slow cook, pressure cook, steam, sauté (and more!) all in one machine. I was thrilled to toss my old equipment after buying one to free up some space in my kitchen.
I often make this alongside my Bacon-Lovers Spicy Southern Greens and Deli Style Cole Slaw!
SLOW COOKER PALEO PULLED PORK
- about 3.5 lbs boneless pork shoulder roast (I normally get mine from US Wellness Meats)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Combine spices and mix well.
- Remove any string holding your pork together.
- With your hands, rub all parts of the pork with the spice mixture - making sure to get into every crevice.
- Wrap pork tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight.
- The next morning, unwrap the pork and set it in your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours and serve with barbecue sauce.