When I’m craving something sweet in the morning, pancakes and waffles are always at the top of my list. Problem is, most pancake and waffle recipes don’t provide the most balanced meal. Especially in the morning, you want something that’s going to keep you fueled and energized throughout the day, not force you into a sugar coma by 11am.
The recipe for these Green Protein Waffles is great not just because of the protein, but also because there’s spinach hidden inside! Okay, so not so hidden, I realize these waffles are green. The good news is that you can’t taste the spinach at all, making them especially fun for kids who get a kick out of funny colored food.
These waffles are great for making in advance and keeping on hand throughout the week for a quick breakfast. I love spreading a bit of nut butter or blueberry compote on top and taking them to go! Given that they are protein packed and full of nutrients, they also make a great lunch! Don’t tell, but I’ve also eaten this meal for dinner a time or two.
There are two appliances that you need to make this dish. First, you need a waffle maker. This is the one I use and I love it! No mess at all and really simple to operate. Of course, if you wanted, you could also turn this recipe into a pancake recipe if you don’t want to make waffles. Just omit the tablespoon of ghee and use that for frying the pancakes in a skillet instead.
The one appliance you will definitely need for this recipe is a high-powered blender. I use the Vitamix Professional Series 750 in copper (featured in the photo at the bottom) aaaaand because tomorrow is my birthday, I am celebrating by GIVING ONE AWAY! This is by far the most high-valued giveaway I have ever done and I am so excited to choose one lucky winner to receive this gorgeous machine.
Curious about which of my recipes use a Vitamix? Here are just a few…
GREEN PROTEIN WAFFLES
- Add all wet ingredients (including the banana and spinach) to your Vitamix and blend until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine using a wooden spoon or similar.
- Heat up your waffle maker and add the entire batch of waffle batter.
- Close the lid and wait until the green light turns on.
- Ensure that waffles are slightly browned on both sides and cooked all the way through.
- Remove and top with your favorite toppings!