I have to be honest, I am not a huge fan of Valentines Day, but I’ll always take a good excuse to create festive recipes that involve berries and chocolate. How could I resist?
This Chocolate Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowl is low in sugar, but high in flavor and nutrients. Why a smoothie bowl and not just a smoothie? First of all, everything is more fun when you eat it out of a bowl, right? Second of all and most importantly, I always like to add toppings so that I can chew my smoothie instead of just drinking it. Chewing nutrient-dense food is imperative because without chewing, our bodies don’t produce adequate enzymes for absorbing those nutrients. So regardless of whether or not you drink your smoothie from a cup or a bowl, add some chewable toppings to get those enzymes working!
CHOCOLATE MIXED BERRY SMOOTHIE BOWL
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 heaping cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 frozen banana
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon maca
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened roasted coconut butter
- fresh berries and cacao nibs for topping
- Combine all ingredients other than toppings in a high powered blender and blend until fully combined.
- Add smoothie to a bowl plus toppings and eat with a spoon!