Now that the weather is cooling down, I am all about comfort foods. Beef brisket is not something I make often but I decided to mix it up for my last US Wellness Meats order and I am so, so happy I did. This recipe is unbelievably satisfying, full of flavor and tender as can be.
Slow cooked beef brisket brings back memories from my childhood as it was something my grandmother used to make on special occasions. She made hers in the oven which is another great way to prepare brisket but I never pass up an opportunity to use my Instant Pot. So easy and virtually no cleanup! The other great thing about an Instant Pot is that after the brisket is finished cooking, it will keep it warm until you’re ready to eat it. So if you have to be at work all day you don’t have to worry about rushing home take anything out of the oven. It will be there warm and waiting for you when you get back!
When selecting a brisket, make sure you are choosing something that is pastured, organic, or both. Non-pastured, non-organic meat has a completely different nutritional profile and is virtually an entirely different piece of meat. If you don’t have access to a wide range of high-quality meat near your home, US Wellness Meats is a fantastic option. I order in bulk and never have to worry about buying meat – it’s always in my freezer ready to defrost. Talk about easy meal prep!
SLOW COOKER BEEF BRISKET WITH TOMATOES AND ONION
- 3 pounds beef brisket (I get mine from US Wellness Meats)
- 1 large yellow onion (or two small onions)
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes with the liquid
- 1 cup beef stock (chicken stock will work too)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse beef brisket and pat dry.
- Grind both salt and pepper over both sides of the meat.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, sear the brisket on both sides until golden brown, about two minutes per side.
- In a separate pan, heat over medium heat and add remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Saute onions until golden brown.
- Add brisket, fatty side down into your slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- On top of the brisket, place the cooked onion, minced garlic, tomatoes, stock and add a bit more salt and pepper.
- Cook on the slow cook setting in your Instant Pot for 6 hours.
- Cooking the meat for 6 hours will allow you to slice it for a nice presentation. If you like your meat more tender so that it falls apart, cook for 8 hours total.