This dish makes its way onto my kitchen table at least twice a month. It’s so simple to make and perfect for nights that I’m too lazy to cook a big meal… especially in the summer when hot food is the last thing on my mind.
I make chicken salad in one of two ways. Either I buy chicken breasts from the store and cook them just for this. Or, I use leftovers from a whole roasted chicken. This time I used leftovers but I will give you instructions for both.
I’ve been hardcore crushing on Jilz Crackerz lately, but this can also be served on salad, cucumber slices or celery sticks. It can also be eaten straight out of the bowl.
Last but certainly not least, the mayo you use is crucial. I have searched far and wide for a store bought mayo that doesn’t contain canola oil or other ingredients I stay away from and it literally doesn’t exist. Of course, you could make your own, but who really has time for that? Plus, I’ve tried to make it several times and it never really turns out properly. Thankfully, Mark Sisson has stepped up to the plate and released an amazing packaged mayo from Primal Kitchen Foods. This stuff is pure heaven. If you haven’t tried it yet, I seriously encourage you to buy some. And then use it in this recipe. 🙂
- 2-3 chicken breasts or equivalent in leftover roasted chicken (dark meat is fine too)
- 32oz oz chicken broth (only if you don't have chicken pre-made)
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼-1/3 cup Primal Kitchen Foods mayo
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- If you are cooking the chicken, place in a large pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil then turn down to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Chicken is done when it falls apart very easily.
- Drain broth and place in large bowl.
- If you are using leftover chicken, you can start here. Place chicken in a large bowl and pull apart with two forks until shredded.
- Add onion, celery, pecans and spices and mix together with chicken.
- Add mayo and mix until fully combined. Start with ¼ cup and add more if you want it to be less dry.
- Serve with crackers, celery sticks or sliced cucumber.